Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010

Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010
A boy and a woman both laboring under an afternoon sun...

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
This worker with his heaping cargo gave me pause...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010
All my energy was expended for this shot at 15,000 feet up on Kilimanjaro...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010
Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro--Tanzania--19,340 feet

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
I watched this pair walk down a dusty road and wondered what was in the briefcase...

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Africa beckons...

All is set for my July 29 departure for Tanzania. To prepare for my Kilimanjaro summit bid, I've been primarily running, but will soon add some modest hikes in hilly terrain to the mix. The fundraising has recently hit $600 and I hope that it continues to rise. I've been pondering my trip daily and the mountain's altitude is the predominant reality that most occupies my thoughts. By all accounts that I've read, its effects cannot be predicted and can halt the efforts of even the most physically fit. I bought Diamox, which is a prescription drug that is supposed to mitigate the effects of high altitude sickness. I hope that I don't have to use it.

I'll be stopping in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia briefly prior to arriving in Tanzania. I wish that I could spend more time exploring that troubled country...shedding my tourist garb and mixing with the locals for a few days...perhaps a future visit will allow for more exploration of some of the continent's more remote and less travelled corners.

Otherwise, two weeks remain in the school year and my jubiliation at the prospect of a two month stretch of vacation can hardly be contained. Its surpassed, perhaps, only by my students more obvious signs of giddiness...

The sun is shining, the temps are rising and the calendar will soon surrender its two most treasured months...

Cheers,

Keith

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What are you raising money for?