Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010

Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010
A boy and a woman both laboring under an afternoon sun...

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
This worker with his heaping cargo gave me pause...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010
All my energy was expended for this shot at 15,000 feet up on Kilimanjaro...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010
Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro--Tanzania--19,340 feet

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
I watched this pair walk down a dusty road and wondered what was in the briefcase...

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 14 (Monday, 7/21/08) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi all:

It's another hot one here in Malaysia's capital city...maybe matching the heat wave that I hear is hitting the New York area. Just finished my cup of coffee and Chinese donut (not an oxymoron...actually rivals a glazed Dunkin donut...) and am just hanging for a few hours until I catch a taxi to the KL airport for the final leg of my journey, which will take me to Ho Chi Mihn City, Vietnam for a week. we spent the weekend here in Kuala Lumpur criss crossing the city to catch the important sights. Yesterday, we spent an unbelievable few hours exploring the Batu Caves just outside the city limits...It's a series of caves carved into the mountainside and home to a few important Hindu shrines and temples. The main draw is a seemingly endless set of 272 steps which lead tourits the entrance to the caves. I made it up, but had to stop a few times... the intense sun and occasional aggressive monkey the main culprits. Within the caves, monkeys run wild--we saw one even grab a bag from an unsuspecting young kid...causing him to cry...you have to watch out!

Our pad for the weekend was the D'Orient Hotel situated in the Chinatown section of the city. It's a labryinth of criss-crossing streets that burst with energy...stalls selling every conceivable Asian food...to clothes, trinkets, watches...you name it. The city has an unbelievably clean subway system that is really efficient. People are generally gracious...but the merchants can be somewhat oppressive at times. We also explored the Little India neighborhood, a smaller, but similarly boisterous section, with silk, saris, and countless other Indian products. With Desiree's encouragement, I got a henna design on my left arm...some sort of intricate Hindu sun motif...it will probably be worn off by the time I get home next week though...but it looks pretty cool for now.

I have tons of pics and even some video clips, but can't post them for the moment...but I'll share as soon as I'm able...

I'll send some thoughts from Vietnam. Miss you all...Go Mets!! Here they've hit a hot streak!!

Keith

No comments: