Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010

Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010
A boy and a woman both laboring under an afternoon sun...

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
This worker with his heaping cargo gave me pause...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010
All my energy was expended for this shot at 15,000 feet up on Kilimanjaro...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010
Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro--Tanzania--19,340 feet

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
I watched this pair walk down a dusty road and wondered what was in the briefcase...

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 15 - Ho Chi Mihn City, Vietnam

Hi all:

Flew into Ho Chi Mihn City last night from Kuala Lumpur with lightning filling the skies as we touched down. It will be difficult for my words to convey the utter chaos that looms in the streets here...as I drove from the airport to my small hotel in the center of the city, my driver weaved in and out of insane traffic. The roads are thick with mopeds and motorcycles here...the young, and old ride them...not uncommon to even see infants in the mix, clutched precariously by their mom or sibling as they speed ahead without a helmet.

Slept well last night and after breakfast, made the sweltering mile or so walk to the Independence Palace...the sight where North Vietname tanks broke through the gates as the Viet Cong overtook the city in 1975. As I was leaving the grounds, I passed a Vietnamese couple...and the man said in clear English, "We won..." and then smiled. I smiled back at him and moved on...

Then wandered over a short distance to the War Remnants Museum...an unbelievably moving chronicle of what the country endured during the Vietnam War...there are three or so large rooms which shockingly display photos from the war--some truly horrific...there are also a few American planes and other war relics scattered about the premises.

It's now 2pm and I'm inside the lobby of my hotel, which is situated in what is known as "backpacker alley"--a dense, congested labyrinth of streets with hotels and food stalls...

The heat here is oppressive...I''m drenched the moment I step outside...for some reason, I feel it much more here than in Kuala Lumpur or Singapre, which are actually further south...

I'll spend one more night here, then I'm taking a boat tour of the Mekong Delta region...a tour organized by my hotel. I'll be ushered out of town with a few other tourists and we'll see the Vietnamese countrysidea and go so far up the Mekong as the village of Chau Doc--which hugs the border with Cambodia. Should be interesting...After a few days there...I'll head back to Ho Chi Mign City and fly out next week for Singapore for the long flight home...

Hope all is well...miss you all!

Keith

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Keith! It looks like you are having an amazing time! We can't wait to see the pictures!

Be safe and see you soon,
Deana

Unknown said...

Dear Uncle Keith,
This is Emma. How is your trip going so far? We were reading your journal and I herd about the monkey who stole the kid's bag.
I miss you a lot and I can't wait to see you again.
- Emma
P.s. # 19737293925 Call me if you can!
I can't get over your experiences. Be well and we can't wait to see you. Kar

Anita said...

Hi Keith, It's great reading about your adventures so far from home. Stay safe - Auntie A

Desiree said...

Hey you.

Not that I wouldn't of wanted to continue on with you, but I think I'd need to head back to Besar after the Vietnam trip. Have fun, be safe and take care of that foot.

I'll send pictures soon...

Desiree