Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010

Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010
A boy and a woman both laboring under an afternoon sun...

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
This worker with his heaping cargo gave me pause...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010
All my energy was expended for this shot at 15,000 feet up on Kilimanjaro...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010
Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro--Tanzania--19,340 feet

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
I watched this pair walk down a dusty road and wondered what was in the briefcase...

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Day 21 Phnom Pehn, Cambodia to Ho Chi Mihn City, Vietnam

I had breakfast in Cambodia and dinner in Vietnam. Woke in Phnom Pehn and organized my stuff at my guesthouse before venturing out for a quick breakfast of an omelette at a nearby cafe. I then retrieved my backpack and boarded a direct bus to Ho Chi Mihn City, where I am now writing this entry. When I say "direct bus", I do not mean fast. The journey should have taken about 4 hours or so...but the final tally was 7 hours. At one point after we crossed the border into Vietnam, our driver simply stopped the bus and crossed the street to have a quick chat with a roadside merchant. That's really the pace of life here...

My three days in Cambodia were haunting, uplifting, depressing, exhilarating...the gamut of emotions were experienced. As I left the country this morning, I marveled at the fact that the millions of people residing in that troubled city today manage to move, exist, survive despite the magnitude of the horrors that touched them not so long ago. Almost every Cambodian, I would suppose, has a link to the horrors of Pol Pot...as I was walking the grounds of infamous prison in the capital a few days ago, I overheard a young guy, neatly dressed, in his 30s, tell a western couple that "my mother went to this place...my father went to that place..." His parents were likely victims of the madness. There are millions of other similar stories that are difficult to fathom.

I'll be spending two days here in Ho Chi Mihn city for my second "tour"...and will fly out for Malaysia on Tuesday...then on to my final city of Singapore, where I'll fly hom on Thursday. Tomorrow, I'll likely just wander the city and soak up its energy...

Miss you all...see you soon.

Keith

3 comments:

lallegri said...

Hi Keith,

I can't believe I JUST found your blog...Looks like I will be spending quite a while tonight catching up on the details of your trip.

From what I've read so far, you have had quite a journey...the pictures that you posted are fantastic!

How lucky to have been able to have this experience...
See you in September!
Laura

Teaching H.S. English 101 said...

Keithy! Your blog is awesome. You're out there living such a colorful journey! I hope it ends as well as it seems all of your trip has been! I hope you post some more pictures. The scenery is unlike anything I've ever had the pleasure to see myself. You're one lucky traveler!

Safe trip home! (unless you've found a good spot for your banana stand!)

See you for skydiving! (yes. we're still going!)
Alyssa

pam said...

Keith,
Cant wait to see you! Your trip sounds incredible and I look forward to hearing even more details of your journey. So, how was the "tattoo"? The look on your face is classic!! Lights out??