Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010

Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010
A boy and a woman both laboring under an afternoon sun...

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
This worker with his heaping cargo gave me pause...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010
All my energy was expended for this shot at 15,000 feet up on Kilimanjaro...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010
Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro--Tanzania--19,340 feet

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
I watched this pair walk down a dusty road and wondered what was in the briefcase...

Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 31, 2010--Moshi, Tanzania

Finally landed this morning early after a long flight with two stops in Germany and Ethiopa. I arrived at my hotel around 5 in the morning completely spent, but feel a bit revived now after a few hours sleep. It's mid-afternoon on Saturday and I'm relaxing today before I set out with my hiking party for Kiliminjaro tomorrow morning.

First impressions upon leaving airport doors was the stillness and relative coolness that the middle of the night brought. Piled into a minivan with several other Europeans to the hotel. It was a slow, one hour journey over broken pavement and dirt covered lanes. The hotel is situated outside of the town of Moshi, Tanzania and is a walled compound that stands in stark contrast to life outside its walls. I walked a bit on the dusty street in front and it's vintage rural Africa with a wide dusty dirt road with occasional motor bikes buzzing by and African women and children walking in their colorful garb.

I can't post pics at the moment and will be out of contact for the next week as I attempt my summit bid. Will share lots of stories and pics upon my return. Feels great to finally be in Africa...would love to venture beyond Kilimanjaro one day and explore some neighboring towns and countries. Life is good...

No comments: