Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010

Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010
A boy and a woman both laboring under an afternoon sun...

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
This worker with his heaping cargo gave me pause...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010
All my energy was expended for this shot at 15,000 feet up on Kilimanjaro...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010
Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro--Tanzania--19,340 feet

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
I watched this pair walk down a dusty road and wondered what was in the briefcase...

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Auckland, New Zealand - July 12, 2009

Sitting in an internet cafe a few blocks from my hotel on this damp, cool and dreary Sunday morning. In a few hours, I'll take a bus to the airport to catch my flight to Bangkok, Thailand and the next leg of my trip.

New Zealand is a spectacular country, with upbeat people and natural surroundings that are truly stunning. My quick, 9-day tour started in Auckland, where I explored a few islands offshore and toured this clean, cosmopolitan city on the edge of a sparkling bay which harbors many other small islands that attract hikers and people in search of quieter shores. Raritonga is just a 20 minute ferry ride from the dock in Auckland, but it seems much further. I was told that it was formed only 600 years ago after a violent eruption from the sea which was witnessed by some local Maori people on a neighboring island. There are a few houses near the shore, but the entire interior of island is dominated by thick, black volcanic rock and dense forests, which rise steadily to a windswept summit with uninterrupted views of the city and bay in all directions.

I'll drop you all a note from Bangkok in a few days...looking forward to some warmer temps...

cheers,

keith

No comments: