Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010

Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010
A boy and a woman both laboring under an afternoon sun...

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
This worker with his heaping cargo gave me pause...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010
All my energy was expended for this shot at 15,000 feet up on Kilimanjaro...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010
Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro--Tanzania--19,340 feet

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
I watched this pair walk down a dusty road and wondered what was in the briefcase...

Monday, July 13, 2009

Bangkok, Thailand - July 14, 2009

Day two in Bangkok, Thailand and I've been assaulted by every conceivable smell, taste and sound...it's an electric city that moves nonstop. There are significant western tourists in the predictable--and worthy--temple sights around the city. Move beyond these areas though and your quickly in the thick of Bangkoks population with few--if any--westerners to be found. Chinatown is one such place. Wandered there this morning after a mile or so walk from my hotel.

The narrow alleyways of the main markeplace are a seemingly endless web of lanes with every conceivable product on review. To throw some chaos on top of this, scooters occassionally buzz there way through a space that is already filled with human traffic.

I meandered through this congested maze, stopping to purchase a bag of cantelope from a local merchant. I made my way back to by late morning to one of the more important temples in the city which boasts of the largest reclining Buddha statue in Thailand. It's a massive, bronze structure that glares at visitors with an easy smile. Some Thai locals also shared the view--making sure to bow in supplication before this symbol of the ultimate Thai deity.

Tomorrow morning, I fly to Phuket in the south of Thailand to revel in the clear waters and relative calm of the south of the country. I hope to do some diving down there if the weather cooperates as I read in the local newspaper today that epic monsoon rains have beseiged the region since Saturday. We'll see.


An amazing trip so far!

Cheers,
keith

No comments: