Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010

Arusha, Tanzania--August 2010
A boy and a woman both laboring under an afternoon sun...

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
This worker with his heaping cargo gave me pause...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August, 2010
All my energy was expended for this shot at 15,000 feet up on Kilimanjaro...

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010

Mt. Kilimanjaro--August 7, 2010
Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro--Tanzania--19,340 feet

Arusha, Tanzania

Arusha, Tanzania
I watched this pair walk down a dusty road and wondered what was in the briefcase...

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Auckland, New Zealand - July 3, 2009

Landed this morning in this sunny and cool city after a 17-hour long flight. My first impressions are that it is very clean and laid back...a Kiwi trademark apparently. The customs guy at the airport addressed the bloke next to me as "mate" and sent him on his way with a "gooday" drawl. It was a nice introduction to the city and a refreshing change from the stoic, heardened officials stamping passports in New York.

I just had a quick bite to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant on Queen St--one of the main arteries running through the city. My hotel is clean and centrally located. I am now going to spend the rest of the afternoon strolling the downtown area and waterfront. It's a very hilly city which spills down and overlooks a beatiful bay. There are many islands offshore that I intend to explore via the ferry system over the next few days. Flying into the airport this morning was a postcard worthy vista with sheep grazing the green hills and the bay surrendering its pristine depths just in time for our plane to touch down on the tarmac. It really was a close call in my view as the plane couldn't have been more than 20 feet over the water before the tarmac suddenly---and to my great relief--made its appearance. Overall, a subdued city with a relaxed vibe...lots of Polynesian locals and a generally young crowd walking the sidewalks...

I'll try to post pics soon...

keith

No comments: